Thursday, 17 October 2013

Pattern 01: Claudia Skirt - changed

I went to the countryside this weekend, but during that time I was thinking about my failed skirt and how I might be able to actually change it. There you go, fixed it:


(Yes, I know, this is not the best-fitting blouse.)

My biggest problem was the amount of fabric that was gathered around my hip, it just didn't look right, even though I already had chosen the smallest pattern size.(I'm a tiny person:161cm/ 5'3ft tall.) I kind of knew how to change it but I would need to take apart the whole skirt for that. I had to cut 8cm away from the original rectangular pattern piece for the front and the back of the skirt, gather it and sew it all together again. I was a bit hesitant to do it at first, but I couldn't wear that first skirt anyway, so why not take it apart and try again.The waistband was also a tiny bit to big, so it was resized as well.



And do you remember that invisible zipper with the rounded corners, that I messed up somehow? This part of a sewalong by Sewaholic helped me understand it better. I had not folded the zipper around to the inside, so there was no neat square corner. But now there is one:



I'm actually quite happy with it now. It's not perfect of course, but wearable and I'm proud that I was able to save it. Next week I'll be working on a freelance job with a tight deadline, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to start sewing something new. The next thing will probably be a wallet anyway (my old one is falling apart)and I'm not sure that this is something worth posting about.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maike! The skirt looks just great now and fits very well, what a great job! As a fellow illustrator and crafter, I'm really enjoying this new blog of yours. I'm an avid knitter (sometimes pattern writer) I'm thinking I should separate that from my illustration work and make a knitting blog.

    I've never used a sewing machine before, I've just sewbn some things by hand, but next month I'm taking a basic sewing class and I'm super excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia! Yes, I didn't want to mix it with my normal tumblr, I wanted to give people a choice if they want to follow my sewing adventures or not. ;) So definitely, make a knitting blog, (which I would follow as I also want to learn how to knit complex things.) I've only knitted scarfs so far.

      Oh nice! I wanted to take a sewing class as well, but all classes that I found were already fully booked until January and I was eager to start now because I already bought my sewing machine for some pillows for our home. So I just jumped into it. It's really not so hard if you go slow and follow the instructions to get to know the techniques. (The second time I sewed the skirt I already managed to sew it better.)I'm hooked now, but I have to be careful not to "waste" all my money on fabrics, hahaha!

      Delete