Monday, 27 January 2014

Colors in my wardrobe

Last week I discovered "The wearability project"-blog by Eléonore from Deer and Doe and thought it was quite interesting. It's about organizing and analysing your wardrobe, so you actually wear what you have and sew what you would wear.

I don't have a cupboard for my clothes so everything is stuffed into this one ikea dresser. My boyfriend and I both hate that so we want to build a better solution this year. But the current dresser situation also means I don't really have an overview of what my wardrobe contains of. As I usually work from home and only need to wear something comfortable I pick clothes that lay on top and the clothes on the bottom are collecting dust over time.

So I took out all my clothes:


That is basically what I wear most of the time depending on the season. Shorts and skirts are mostly worn in summer, jeans are more of a winter thing for me. I also prefer jeans when I go out with our dog. I already got rid of some of the tops(not shown here) as well as some skirts because one: they were really old and two: I didn't like to wear them anymore because of horrible fit.

When I looked over the photos I realized I own a lot (!) of knits, they are just so easy to handle and comfy. So I decided to get over this stupid hesitation to sew with knits and buy some:



The first two are 100% cotton knit and the ones below are made out of viscose, which drapes really lovely. Although I haven't figured out yet if it's interlock, double knit...I have no idea.
I might try a renfrew or plantain with the cotton ones and a Briar top or Selja tee with the ones below. But first I should practise with some scraps to figure it all out.

Another thing Elénore talked about was color. I was always a bit hesitant to wear more vibrant colors, so I took a photo of mine, which had the skintones right and painted over it with colors to test, which ones where okay and which looked awful. This is what I came up with:



Yellows apparently don't work with my complexion, which is a pity as I love mustard- or sun-yellows. With some colors I'm not sure, they might work in small amounts, so I added a maybe-category. It's interesting to know that, since I tend to buy fabric that I think is pretty, but in the end doesn't work well together with my hair and skintone. Well, hopefully I have some time this week to test some knit-sewing!

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! I might do the same experiment with my complexion. I think that musard yellow doesn't suit me either, and it's a pity as I love it too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to figure out what type I am but that was to annoying because I'm somewhere inbetween all those "summers" and "springs", so I just drew on a photo. I can use the yellow as an accent but as a whole tee it wouldn't look good. But I do like teal and bordeau, so I'm happy I can wear those.

      Delete