Monday, 20 January 2014

My first trousers! Okay: shorts.

Right now, we don't have much sunshine where I live. The sky is constantly dark or grey, so trying to take good photos inside is practically impossible. These are as good as it gets. I'll probably should have waited for a sunny day, but I'm so proud of these shorts, I want to show them to you.



Pattern: Chataigne by Deer and Doe
Fabric: wool (purchased locally)+ some cheap lining fabric
costs: around 11€

The shorts are labeled for beginners, so I wondered if I would be able to sew them. As per other bloggers, trousers are usually complicated to fit, so I was a bit afraid of failing. I started cutting a size 36 in cheap fabric to test the fit, which was perfect at my waist but totally off everywhere else: too large at the crotch and at the hips. As I'm not very experienced with fitting trousers, I had to figure it out all by myself. The crotch problem was fixed by shortening the back and front piece by a few centimeters which shortened the pockets as well. The hips would actually not be hard as well, but I decided to pin the excess away when sewing the real shorts and not redraw the pattern.



Sewing them was not too hard, the only thing that caused me some trouble was the triangle in the front, but after I've consulted my awesome new sewing book, I nailed it!( You have no idea how relieved I was when I managed it, it's all visible in the front after all!)All the other things like the zipper and waistband I had done before when I've sewn the Claudia Skirt, so no problems there.

But...oh...all this fraying! It was crazy. And it didn't get any better when I decided to line the complete shorts with the same fabric as for the pockets to hide the inside, which meant a lot of slipping in and outside of the shorts. But the lining constructions worked rather well, even though I figured it all out on the go as I obviously had never lined pants before. I just raised the crotchline a bit for the lining piece and shortened the length of the legs so the lining wouldn't be visible from the outside.



I'm quite happy with them!

2 comments:

  1. They look great. The design has some nice details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think so too! I loved the front especially and shorts are always nice, although it just got so cold that I probably can't wear them for a while, not even with tights. :(

    ReplyDelete