Monday, 2 June 2014

Darling Ranges finished

Pattern: Darling Ranges dress by Megan Nielsen
Size: XS
Alteration: hidden button placket on the lower part of the dress, back darts, rolled hem

I usually try to photograph my sewing projects as soon as I finish them, because otherwise it takes me forever to blog about them, like with this dress.
Thank you first of all for all your insights and comments on which version of the dress I should sew! I actually wanted to do the version with two fabrics, but didn't find anything suitable in my local fabric shop for the upper part. As I wanted to wear it to my mothers birthday I decided to go the "one-fabric-route" and make it all in this dotted fabric.

When I finished this one I was a bit unsure if I liked it. The dress pattern screamed "old" and "conservative" to me when I tried it on for the first time, but weeks later when I paired it with boots and a belt, all was good.



I was slightly afraid of the bias facing, because it was quite disastrous the last time I used it. A video on craftsy helped me a lot and I was very careful to follow all the steps to get it right this time. Luckily it worked very well! Additionally I added some darts to prevent the back neckline from gaping too much and look at it: a lovely flat neckline for once.



Before I bought the pattern I went through the pinterest boards to get an idea of what the dress could look like sleeveless and I liked it as long as the buttons weren't visible all the way down. So I decided to draft a hidden button placket for the lower part of the dress. Man, was I annoyed after silly me realised that the dress was roomy enough that I would have had the option to omit the buttons completely ... Well at least I know how to sew those hidden button plackets now, right?



The fabric is a dream (super soft and very lightweight), so I hope I'll wear it often in this summer!

5 comments:

  1. It looks very cute. The buttons go very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sehr, sehr hübsch! Und Hut ab vor dem Placket-Teil. Da trau ich mich immer noch nicht ran…
    Liebe Grüße ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danke! :)

    Oh, das war gar nicht so schwer (Hier ist ein tutorial: http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/32382/how-to-make-a-hidden-button-placket/page/all) Ich habe es mir nur vorher auf Papier aufgezeichnet und zur Probe gefaltet, damit ich auch nichts falsch mache.
    Ich finde zumindest so etwas wie Schrägband-Halsausschnitte weitaus schwieriger. Da habe ich den Trick immer noch nicht raus.

    Liebe Grüße!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dress! Also, I don't know if you're into this kind of thing, but I've nominated you for a Liebster Award - it's basically just a Q&A. No pressure to participate though! http://blog.lindsaywoodward.com/2014/06/q-a.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous fabric, and I love the buttons you chose.

    ReplyDelete